Our congregation was established in the early 1890s and is the oldest established not-for-profit in South Elgin. We first held church services in a room over a store and laid the cornerstone for our first church building on September 12, 1892 in the 200 block of Spring Street, just west of Route 31.
That original building burnt to the ground in 1949, but the very next day, the congregation began a rebuilding campaign.
The new church, at 400 West Spring Street, opened for Sunday services on May 6, 1951. We’ve expanded it twice since then, and now have a full commercial kitchen, a fellowship hall and Sunday School classrooms, and a gym with a full-sized basketball court. We were also able to include the original church bell, saved from the fire, in our new belfry.
We own this wonderful facility debt-free, and have used it over the decades for Vacation Bible School, as a polling place, as additional classroom space for the South Elgin elementary school and for the park district.
Today, as the pandemic allows, we continue to sponsor Scout troops, house a weekly AA program, sponsor the South Elgin Food Pantry, and provide facilities to rental groups such as Jazzercise, a home school group, and other activities.
We also own a parsonage, built by members of the congregation in 1997.
Today the congregation thrives on its fellowship, joyful music, prayer life, the participation of children and youth in worship and service activities, and care for one another.
Contact us to learn more about the church.